Monday, October 8, 2012

Entry #8

October 8'th, Monday

A scratching sound came from the drain in the middle of the floor in the middle of the night, and I woke up to it in the pitch black. I could see a yellow glow coming from under the drain cover, and it illuminated the whole room. I watched as the drain twisted, lifted and a small figure flew out into the middle of the room, flitting back and forth looking for someone. It was a green-clad faerie with yellow hair. I watched in astonishment. "Tinkerbell!" the girl I had spoken to earlier whispered ferociously. "Wendy!" said the figure, and she glided over there with the sort of grace faeries are said to have. They had a conversation I didn't understand very well until later, but I think it sort of went like this:

Wendy: "Why are you here?"
Tinkerbell: "We need to get you out- Peter is in danger if we don't."
Wendy: "Danger? That doesn't make any sense!"
Tinkerbell: "He's being threatened by a beast. We have to get miss Red out too." (I was interested in this part)
Wendy: "But it was the witch that was threatening Peter- because of me! These people wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me!" (She started to cry.) 
Tinkerbell: "That's why we got to get them all out, don't you see?"
Wendy: "Why is it everything we do we become threatened by death?
And so on.

After the crying spell, Tinkerbell waved her finger in front of the cage door and it popped open with a slight crack. I was just thinking "Oh, well, that was easy," when an army of gingerbread cookies sprang from the lock on the outside of the lock and leaped on Tinkerbell like a pack of delectable wolves. The door slammed shut before Wendy could be released and a laugh echoed from the darkened steps to the far right. As Tinkerbell screamed at the ginger cookies in anger, a plump, happy looking lady stepped out and lighted a candle on the small desk standing next to her. She waved the match out, and held out the candle in front of her face. She really did not look like a child eater. She looked exactly like those kind aunts you have down the street that bring over sweets every once in a while and who let you come in and borrow films and toys. But I knew who she was when I saw her. She was definitely not our ally here.

"I was just coming to check on my chickies, and look what I found." The lady smiled agreeably. A small girl that looked like the boy in the cage next to me came out from behind her. She was scrawny and looked extremely wretched and tired. "Gretal, you know what I do to the rats." The lady waved her arm and a metal cage draped itself around Tinkerbell. "Drown it."

I couldn't watch the horrified looks on their faces. Wendy started crying again, and Tinkerbell joined in. Gretal turned pale. The witch started up the stairs. "Oh, and Gretal." She said turning around. Gretal's pale face looked up. "Don't forget what I can do to your brother if you disobey." The witch smiled sweetly and closed the door in a finality sentence. Gretal stood for a moment, then slowly went over and picked up Tinkerbell's cage. Wendy and Tinkerbell begged and made sounds of distress, but Gretal carried Tinkerbell all the way out of the room. We haven't seen her again.

That was in the early, early morning. we have been worrying all day, but nothing has done anything to clear our thoughts. We haven't seen the Gingerbread Witch or any sign of Tinkerbell since. Gretal did come back, though, and set some porridge bowls in our cages. I'm sick of porridge. We asked her and screamed at her, but she simply cast down her eyes and didn't say anything. I don't want to think right now. I expect the worse. And that was the first faerie I've ever seen! How dare they just kill her off like that! Tinkerbell did say something about a beast though. Could she have meant the wolf? I wonder if he's searching for me?


No comments:

Post a Comment