Friday, October 19, 2012

Entry #19

October 19'th, Friday

Peter's bird woke us all up by tweeting about by our heads. Fenrir growled. Peter is thankfully quiet in the mornings. Well, we all are, I guess. When I'm tired I don't feel like talking, or even thinking. We reached the Pea Plant. It didn't take an hour. Climbing it was the real hard part, though. I'm going to be sore all over by tomorrow morning. It was a bit scary, too. I slipped twice, and almost went right off if Fenrir hadn't grabbed me with his teeth at the last second. I was wet with cold-sweat by the time we finally got to the top. To climb the thing you would sort of have to reach up and grab onto the next leaf, and sometimes you would easily be able to jump to the next one. I'm pretty good with heights, actually. I like the smell of wind. I just don't fancy falling. Fenrir didn't seem to mind them much either, it was like he was used to it. Peter, on the other hand, had the most trouble. I feel a bit sorry for him. He didn't talk at all; and when he did, it was out of fear. He still followed us up, though. I guess his determination to follow Fenrir really is something you don't want to mess with.

At the top we were instantly attempted to be arrested by cards. Now that was something I had never seen before. Cards as tall as I was, thin as paper, and talking and moving about. "In the name of the Queen!" they said. I really wonder who this queen is. They had spears and things, but in the moment of surprise, a large gust of wind blew, and they were all set off into the distance by the power of it. Cards are still cards, I suppose. The world we landed in at the top of the Pea Plant is really something else, though. It was amazing. The 'ground' wasn't soil or flooring, it was cloud. We walked on clouds. I still wonder how that manages. You could feel the clouds moving underneath you, and you could even feel the wispy characteristic of it that should normally refuse to ever hold you. But there was a point where you just walked. It was like walking on thin air. It gave me a light-headed feeling. Poor Peter must've kept up terribly.

Everything was larger than we were. Sky-scraper large. There were patches of greenery here and there, believe it or not. Most of the space we walked it was just a cloud desert. But every so often we would cross a place where it seemed as if it was a miniature tropical forest. These places were so short, but we made sure to get a drink and scavenge any food we thought we would be able to eat. Sometimes we would hear these huge sounds like thumpings and thunder, and we would crouch down like it was an earthquake. It felt like an earthquake. I asked Fenrir what it was, and he looked grim for a minute then said something I entirely did not expect; "Giants". Giants. Oh great. I never knew Giants resided on the tops of clouds. I shall think an entirely different thing when storms and rain come now. Jack must've gone far, as we haven't caught up with him today. Fenrir is sniffing him out, but says he's quite ahead. I  can almost see something large gawking in the far, far distance. I wonder what that is. It doesn't move. Like a building, almost.

The trees and tropical paradise patches are a million times bigger than I am. A sprout is the same size as Fenrir. The insects are ginormous. A dragonfly that zoomed past my head unexpectedly is the same as a flying horse. The flies are unbearable, as are the mosquitoes, which are dangerous. For dinner I used my bow and arrows to take down a slug. I confess I cooked it and ate it. Hunger does some strange things to you that you would never had thought would lead you to do such strange things. It was chewy and squishy. It didn't taste too bad, actually, when you got your mind off the smell. I still cringed a bit. We also managed to climb and let fall a giant peach. When we tried to open it though, someone came out. From the inside a fully clothed boy scrambled out. "My name is Momotaro!" he screamed and ran off talking about some demon or other. I was put out. Does all fruit have little boys in them? But we ate it all the same and are camping out. I hope I don't get eaten by some large insect or something. That would be some awfully bad luck. Peters bird hasn't had any trouble at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment